Let It Be Sunday, 152!

December 31, 2017

What a time to be alive.

End end of the year is full of feeling.  I find myself looking back at the past few years feeling satisfied and proud, wondering what-if, staring strong at situations I could have been better in.  I find myself looking forward with excitement, anticipation, hopeful plans and fingers crossed. 

Today we’re in the in-between. It feels like the end is the beginning.  

I hope you have the luxury to spend this day doing things that make you feel settled and full.  I’m grateful that you spend some time here.  Enjoy this day, ok?  I appreciate you very much.

Here are a few links for reading:  

•  Erica Garner, who became an activist after her father’s death, dies.  Please know who she was and what she was fighting for. It’s important for all of us. 

•  We’re all pulling together our resolutions for the coming year, but I also really love an intentional look back.  From The Art of Simple, see:  New Years Eve Reflection Questions.  I’m going to pen + paper + coffee the answers this morning. 

•  One thing I enjoy about the end of a year is all of the compilations of things we’ve done, for better or worse.  I enjoyed this poetic transcription of our last year from the New Yorker: Our Year In Poems. 

•  Now is as good a time as any to think about our money.  Here’s this:  How I Saved 30 Percent of My Income in 2017.  The bullet about automating savings withdraws into a separate savings account has really helped me save in the last few years!  I’ve also gone through all the little things I’m automatically charged for on a monthly basis (Netflix and the like) and cancelled the ones I’m not getting real use out of.  

•  A very important cold weather beverage: Coconut Curry Hot Chocolate.  

•  Here’s How To Build A Skin Care Routine.  Paramount is actually taking the time to do all of the washing and toning and seruming and moisturizing.  Follow up article should be: How To Not Be Lazy Past 8pm. 

•  Did you know that  Instagram is a Dating Platform? Full disclosure: WAIT -WHAT? Ain’t nobody tryna slide up in my DMs thank goodness. 

•  Do you listen to the podcast Call Your Girlfriend?  Yes, say yes.  This episode on Pelvic Power is important if you’re a human with a vagina. 

•  Some of the most popular posts from my site this year include: GUMBO POUTINE! // FUTURE FREEZER SMOOTHIES  // MAPLE BACON GRILLED CHEESE // and VANILLA BEAN BUNDT CAKE with pecan praline glaze. 

•  The cookbooks I used the most this year: Small Victories by Julia Turshen  //  The Gourmet Cookbook by Ruth Reichl // and my book Homemade Decadence. 

•  A pleasing crafts to do this freezingass weekend: make a PomPom for your winter hat. May I suggest 2018’s Ultra Violet?  

•  Today I’m making this cake and I fully plan to enjoy at least four slices: The Kitchy Kitchen’s Crackle Cake.

•  The Cook Through made every single recipe from my latest book Over Easy.  Myra deserves a parade of unicorns.  See the recap here and follow her on Instagram!  I’m over here throwing confetti. 

•  Cozy times ahead.  I wear a lot of men’s clothing and I love a classic + kinda retro fleece. 

•  If you’re in New Orleans, Pastry Chef Lisa Marie is having a fantastic King Cake Pop Up next week on January 6th.  We are very fortunate humans. 

Happy New Year to you and yours! Be well, ssdgm, have a wonderful night tonight!

xo Joy

 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments