Instant Pot Indian-spiced Simmer Sauce

December 22, 2017

I'm slipping this incredibly fragrant and feisty Indian-spiced simmer sauce in here this morning in preparation for a recipe I'm going to post tomorrow (I'll put the link here when it's ready). This tomato-based, ginger-slammed, garam masala-boosted simmer sauce is a riff on Coco Morante's version in The Essential Instant Pot Cookbook, and I suspect it will become a staple sauce for many of you. The recipe makes about six cups of sauce - perfect for using some, refrigerating some, freezing some. And no worries if you don't have an Instant Pot, I suspect a stovetop, or even a slow cooker version of it would be equally wonderful. I use it as the base of the recipe I'll post tomorrow, but I've also used it this week on a cauliflower pizza crust, along with a sprinkling of chickpeas, and a bit of paneer for Indian-spiced pizzas (quick lunch), and I'm going to use it on a garlicky, whole wheat crust tonight for dinner. It's nice as a sandwich spread, a dipping sauce for broiled broccoli, or for chana masala. Generally speaking, it's just flat out delicious, and you'll have no trouble thinking of clever ways to use it up. If you make some some today, I promise you won't regret having it on hand to make quick work of tomorrow's recipe. Consider it a homework assignment! ;)

Instant Pot Indian-spiced Simmer Sauce

I made a few tweaks to Coco's recipe. I used fire-roasted tomatoes because I thought it'd give the sauce some nice depth, and it's what I had on hand. Fantastic. Also, I slashed the pressure release time way down, opting for ten minutes of natural pressure release, because the extra 15 minutes seemed like too long for me to wait for something that smelled as good as this did! Enjoy!


Continue reading Instant Pot Indian-spiced Simmer Sauce...

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments