The 10 Best Things to Eat This Labor Day — Labor Day Recipes

August 31, 2017


I've got a lot of eating to do in these last few days of summer. I haven't had a hot dog, a corn dog, and or even a lobster roll yet. Even writing this, I have to wonder what have I been eating this summer? (The answer is toast, watermelon, and rosé.) No matter, because I'm going public with what's in store for this belly the next few days.

With Labor Day weekend on the horizon, I've assembled a dream list of things to eat over the holiday weekend. Grilled corn, a gluten-free cobbler (because I'm obsessed with the topping), and sticky-sweet, herbal lemongrass chicken thighs are on my list. Oh, and there's a creamy Brie and tomato pasta sauce that I need to whip up too. Join me, won't you, in eating my way through this list.

This summer I discovered my love of the charcoal grill, and the number-one request from my family is grilled corn. I've made it so many times and yet I still keep coming back to this recipe to double check my method, and it hasn't led me astray. I love it when the air starts to smell like sweet popcorn as the sugar in the corn begins to caramelize. It's truly the scent of summer.

Bread, steak, and spicy arugula, all wrapped up in a Dijon vinaigrette — what more could you want from a late-summer meal? This recipe calls for cooking the steak in a cast iron pan, but nothing beats grilling it for that signature smoky flare.

There's a local Vietnamese restaurant where I live that my family almost always goes to when we decide to go out to eat, and usually it's in the name of their sweet and sticky lemongrass-scented chicken. It's sort of mind-blowing how easy it is to make this chicken at home, and it makes any noodle salad, grain bowl, or green salad instantly better.

I've been lusting after this sauce from Geraldine since she posted it on her Instagram earlier this summer. Thankfully she was happy to let us share it on the site. I've got a wheel of Brie and a best friend with a bumper crop of tomatoes, and I can hear this number calling my name for a lazy Sunday lunch.

Honestly, I gasped when I first saw this image of tomato butter, and still continue to feel such summer love when I see it. Now as lover of toast, this butter is basically a dream come true, but this umami bomb brings a degree of sophistication to buttered noodles, grilled meats, and cornmeal pancakes that just can't be beat. It's a keeper from one summer to the next.

This recipe is such a gem because it does what a good recipe does best: It makes the cook feel accomplished and the eater feel satisfied. The sweet and salty rub makes it a general crowd-pleaser; it's what to make when you need to have a sorta-fancy main dish instead of the regular burgers and dogs situation.

Oh baby, this caramel sauce is all about the one-ingredient upgrade and in this instance it's from the milky, tangy, sharpness of buttermilk. There's no going back after making this number. Your milkshakes and ice cream sundaes wouldn't be the same without it.

These biscuits are reason alone to make this cobbler. They've got a crackly cornmeal crust on top that lives in such stark contrast to the bubbling, juicy fruit below. Every time I take a bite, I'm close to composing a sonnet. Memorize this recipe folks — it's a keeper.

So maybe you're a whipped cream or ice cream person for your summer berry desserts. I get it, so am I, but when a crisp showed up in front of me drizzled in this buttery vanilla sauce, I became an instant convert. We like to talk about adding that one special touch a lot in our recipes, and for me, this recipe in particular expresses what that one twist is all about.

This is a recipe I've been iterating on since I've been making Rice Krispies treats. It's got extra butter that you brown, vanilla, and lots of salt. Biting into one feels like exactly what a Rice Krispies treat was intended to be. I think the extra fat and salt mitigates the sweetness to make this feel, well, elegant. I've been know to add cardamon, a dash of cinnamon, or tip some bourbon into them from time to time. But at that point you're dealing with something more akin to vice krispies!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments