My Favorite Healthy Recipes: Ashleigh from Charlottesville, Virginia — My Healthy Recipes

August 28, 2017


Welcome to Kitchn's new series My Favorite Healthy Recipes, where we show you how real people around the country (and even world) eat "healthy," however they choose to define that for themselves. Maybe you'll even find a few recipes to add to your own meal plan.

Name: Ashleigh Ange
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Age: 28
Occupation: Email Marketing Manager
Number of people in household: 1 (not counting my fur baby, Hazel)

What Does Healthy Mean to You?

Healthy means eating clean and eating green — I try to eat something green in at least two meals a day, but ideally in every single meal if I can! That means a lot of fresh produce from the farmers market and a lot of experimenting and adapting my favorite comfort foods to lighten them up. While I do not subscribe to a Paleo, vegan, or vegetarian diet, I generally do try to limit my consumption of meat, simple carbs, and dairy.

What Are Your Favorite "Healthy" Recipes?

I love this recipe because it takes a typically indulgent Italian classic and makes it entirely plant-based, but it tastes amazing. This is the dish I make most often when I have company over for dinner, and everyone (both meat-eaters and veg friends) raves about it.

I love this recipe because it's incredibly easy and cheap to make, and is so, so filling! I will generally make this with a salad on the side, and usually I will top the leftover chickpea-tomato stew with some sautéed greens and an over-easy egg for an equally tasty meal.

This recipe is great because it's easy to make, uses up delicious summer produce (hello basil, eggplant and tomato!), and tastes fantastic. I like to make mine with homemade tomato and artichoke sauce for added flavor and depth.

This is a great recipe for the colder months, in that it's easy to throw together with many pantry ingredients most people already have on hand. You can just as easily make it with green lentils if you don't have black lentils around the house.

This is another top favorite of mine. I had a variation of it at a little Greek restaurant and knew I had to recreate it at home. It's easy to throw together and is stacked with protein with flavor. Pro tip: Squeeze fresh lemon juice on it before serving to highlight the shrimp and feta!

Thanks so much for sharing your favorite healthy recipes, Ashleigh! Want to share what healthy means to you? See how here.

More posts in My Favorite Healthy Recipes

You are on the last post of the series.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments