Nectarine Blueberry Pie

July 25, 2018

Is there a dessert that just screams summer to you more than any other? A particular flavor of ice cream perhaps? Sweet corn black raspberry would get my vote in that category, no question! Are you a die hard cobbler person? For me, it’s pie. Specifically lattice-topped, ideally filled with some sort of stone fruit, juicy and fragrant, practically orgasmic when still warm (not hot) from baking and accompanied by a scoop of ice cream.

As much as I adore peach pie, I live in the midwest and we don’t reliably have good peaches here. Nectarines, while not local, seem to hold up better as far as their shelf life and have the added benefit of not needing to be peeled before adding to a pie. I eat them fresh almost every day in the summer the way I do apples through the fall, but I love them even more baked into this pie. The blueberries are a perfect pairing both for an extra dimension of flavor as well as an incredibly beautiful color contrast.

I have been playing with a slight tweak of my pie baking technique and I think it has made a difference! With juicy fruit pies such as this one, I often find that the bottom crust never really bakes and stays soggy and a bit unpleasant. Lately I have been preheating my baking stone with the oven and then baking the pie on top of that to help get more concentrated heat to the bottom crust, with a baking sheet in between to save the stone from any juices that might bubble over. While the bottom crust is still not crisp like the top, I do think this makes a difference overall. If you try it, let me know what you think. And do try this beauty! It’s too gorgeous, too delicious, too summer not to!

The post Nectarine Blueberry Pie appeared first on Everyday Annie.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments