17 Easy & Healthy Side Dishes

June 17, 2018

17 easy and healthy side dish recipes

Barbecue season is upon us and it’s blazing hot outside, so I’ve rounded up a selection of my favorite simple side dish recipes. The best part? You won’t need to turn on the recipe for a single one. Hooray!

You’ll find fun, crisp, cooling side dishes below. All of the recipes are vegetarian (many are vegan and/or gluten free as well), so they’re particularly potluck-friendly. Regardless of your own dietary preferences, these recipes will balance out heavier fare and freshen up your plate.

This simple quinoa salad is perfect for packed lunches! cookieandkate.com

Gluten free and vegan

“This is a great recipe! I’ve made it twice for two different groups, and everyone likes it. It’s easy, and alternative ingredients can be used, so there can be variety each time it’s made.” – Karen

marinated chickpea salad close-up

Gluten free

“I’d have to say this is one of the best chickpea salads I’ve ever made! Sweet, spicy and delicious. So flavourful.” – Carley

This simple, herbed red potato salad recipe will be a hit at your next potluck! The light, creamy sauce is mayo-free, and this recipe is vegan! cookieandkate.com

Gluten free and vegan

“This potato salad was delicious! I love that it doesn’t have mayo in it. I took a big bowl to a local campaign rally and cookout. I noticed that a lot of people brought potato salad, but mine was the only empty bowl at the end of the evening. Thanks for a great recipe.” – Carolyn

best cucumber salad recipe

Gluten free and vegan

“oh my goodness. this salad is SO addictive! I made a 4 person serving and my husband and I ate the whole thing up. We added some arugula and radishes to make it more of a dinner salad with a side of protein.” – Jaime

This hot pink slaw is totally irresistible, thanks to—surprise—coconut! If you like coconut, you're going to love this nutrient-dense slaw/side salad. cookieandkate.com

Gluten free and easily vegan

“This was delicious! We devoured it all. Our 3-year-old even said “Num, num!”, and she is not usually a huge cabbage fan.” – Amanda

The best quinoa salad recipe, made with chickpeas, red bell pepper, cucumber, red onion, parsley and lemon! This healthy quinoa salad is sure to be a hit. (gluten free, vegetarian, vegan)

Gluten free and vegan

“I was surprised to read this recipe and realize that I happen to have all of the ingredients in my kitchen! I whipped it up today and it is so delicious. Definitely going to make this again!” – Jenna

Enjoy this Southwestern black bean salad recipe all week long! It's colorful and bursting with nutrients. cookieandkate.com

Gluten free and vegan

“I saw this in my inbox this week…saved it because it looked so good! Got invited to a day of boating and beaching and thought this would be wonderful to take. It is delicious and that was before I even put it in the fridge! Thank you for this!” – Bethany

This green bean salad recipe is epic! Learn the best way to cook green beans, and get the recipe at cookieandkate.com

Gluten free and potentially vegan

“I made the green bean salad tonight for dinner. My husband and I loved it. Never would have thought adding the basil would give such an interesting twist of flavor. Love your cookbook and all the recipes you share. Thank you!” – Kim

My favorite chickpea salad recipe with carrots, dill and celery. So easy to make! cookieandkate.com

Gluten free and vegan

“Made this tonight for lunch for the week. I’ve already eaten so much of it and don’t think it will even make it to Monday. So good, Kate. Took your advice and added a little extra sherry vinegar.” – Heather

This Thai-flavored quinoa salad recipe is colorful, crisp and delicious! It's also vegan and gluten free. cookieandkate.com

Gluten free and vegan

“I’m normally not a big fan of peanut sauce, but I think that’s only because I’ve never had a good one – wow! I was practically licking the bowl I used to make it! Thanks for another great recipe, Kate. This will be my standard lunch recipe for the indefinite future.” – Alyssa

best broccoli salad recipe

Gluten free and easily vegan

“Sooooo good! My husband and I devoured a whole batch of this for dinner (And I usually hate raw broccoli) I made second batch right away and put it in the fridge to marinate for tomorrow!” – Rachel

This Greek lentil salad recipe is fresh, delicious and simple to make! cookieandkate.com

Gluten free and easily vegan

“Love the salad. I love all the different ingredients, so I knew I would be happy. The trick was if my 13yo and her friend would like it. Success. My daughter wants me to make it more, and her friends mother has asked for the recipe. Definitely going to be on our summer menu from here on out.” – Dave

This apple kohlrabi salad recipe is crisp and light! - cookieandkate.com

Gluten free and easily vegan

“I made this salad last night ahead of time, and added the toasted seeds and cheese (gruyere) at serving time. It’s so delicious! I also traded the tarragon for mint. I will use this recipe whenever I get kohlrabi in my CSA box. Thanks!” – Erin

French carrot salad recipe

Gluten free and easily vegan

“I just wanted to let you know how much I loved the French Carrot Salad. It was so easy to make and the salad dressing is just amazing. Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful, healthy recipes!” – Yvette

Incredible celery salad recipe with dates, almonds and Parmesan - cookieandkate.com

Gluten free and easily vegan

“Kate, another big thank you. This celery salad is delicious and something I would never have thought of myself. The toasted almonds and dates were great! I also successfully cut the recipe down to a single person size. Keep those salads coming!” – Dhyan

This healthy slaw recipe tastes amazing! It's made with a simple lemon dressing and features toasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Gluten free and vegan. - cookieandkate.com

Gluten free and vegan

“Made this for our super bowl party and it was a big hit, especially for my son who dislikes mayonnaise. I didn’t change a thing on the recipe and it was really good! Thank you!” – Leslie

Take advantage of ripe summer fruit to make this simple summer fruit salad! Peaches, strawberries, blueberries, and balsamic vinegar make the best fruit salad. cookieandkate.com

Gluten free and vegan

“I’m not exaggerating when I say this was the best fruit salad I’ve ever had. Thanks so much for the recipe!” – Melanie

More resources you might appreciate: 13 make-ahead breakfast recipes, 16 recipes that pack well for lunch and 20 simple weeknight dinners. You can shop my essential kitchen equipment here. Don’t forget to follow us on Pinterest for a steady stream of recipe inspiration!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments