Here's What Your Airplane Seat Choice Says About You — Travel Intelligence

October 31, 2017


We're all familiar with this scenario: You bought the cheapest ticket at the very last minute and when you go to choose your seat, there aren't any left. It will be assigned at the gate, they say. This is code for: You're sitting in the last row in the middle seat. I'm pretty sure there is no one who would actually choose this seat.

But what happens when you do get to choose? Do you choose the window or the aisle? In my experience, people tend to have strong opinions. I always (always, always, always) choose the aisle if it's an option — and that choice may say something about me as a person, according to Dr. Becky Spelman, the chief psychologist at London's Private Therapy Clinic.

If you prefer the window seat ...

"Passengers who favour the window seat like to be in control, tend to take an 'every man for themselves' attitude towards life, and are often more easily irritable," Spelman told the Telegraph. "They also like to 'nest' and prefer to exist in their own bubble."

Behavior therapist Jo Hemmings added that window seat fans also tend to be "less anxious, seasoned flyers who are more confident in disturbing others.

If you prefer the aisle seat ...

On the other hand, if you prefer the aisle, you're probably less selfish and more accommodating to fellow passengers, Spelman said.

Hemmings agreed: "Aisle passengers are often more sociable and definitely more amenable as people. They are also more likely to be restless flyers and less adept at sleeping on planes."

Does this sound like you?

For me, this analysis is half-true: I'm definitely sensitive to the fact that I have to pee more frequently than is normal and I do not want to be that person who makes my seatmates get up 18 times during a one-hour flight. I'm also restless and slightly claustrophobic and I like the idea that, if I wanted to, I could get up and take a walk up and down the aisle if I wanted to.

On the other hand, I travel a lot and I consider myself a pretty comfortable flier. I also don't want to socialize and I sleep like the dead. I have definitely been known to sleep through fairly vigorous jostling from the drinks cart.

Your turn: Are you a window or an aisle person?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments