21 Foods I Buy from Target to Help Me Eat Well on a Budget — Shopping

October 31, 2017


It's a common misconception that eating healthfully has to be expensive, so I love sharing how I do it on a budget without much time or hassle involved. One of my favorite places to shop for good, not-too-pricey food? Target! In addition to all those trendy home items, Target's grocery department is also full of frugal food finds. It's one of my favorite places to shop on a regular basis.

Here are the 21 healthy — and budget-friendly — foods I always buy at Target every single month.

1-5. Fresh Fruit: Apples, Oranges, Bananas, Pineapples, and Lemons

I eat a variety of fresh fruits, but these are the five I always buy at Target. I only shop for myself, so I usually buy them fresh each week, which means more trips but nothing goes bad on my counter and I don't waste any money. Plus, Target's fruit is always priced right and there's usually a Cartwheel coupon for one or more of these items. Fun fact: The organic bananas are cheaper at Target than anywhere else in my town!

Non-Sale Prices

  • Organic apples, $4 for three pounds
  • Oranges, $4.57 for four pounds
  • Organic bananas, $1.27 for two pounds
  • Pineapples, $1.27 each
  • Lemons, $0.51 each

6-8. Fresh Veggies: Organic Cucumbers, Organic Sweet Potatoes, and Organic Zucchini

Fresh veggies are always on my list no matter where I shop, but these are the three I always buy from Target because they're always fresh and affordable, and I can't find organic ones anywhere else with similar prices. I use these daily whether in juice form, smoothies, salads, or entrées.

Non-Sale Prices

  • Organic cucumbers (seedless), $1.17 each
  • Organic sweet potatoes, $0.49 each
  • Organic zucchini, $1.29 each

9-11. Breakfast Food: Oatmeal, Whole-Grain Cereal, Dried Fruit

My favorite breakfast meal (and sometimes even a lazy dinner) is a fruit and veggie smoothie with whole-grain oats or whole-grain cereal (like Shredded Wheat) mixed with dried fruit (figs, raisins, dates). Target's selection of whole grains and dried fruit is always fantastic and has better prices than my local Walmart! Plus, I can always count on the Cartwheel app to have one or more of these items on markdown.

Non-Sale Prices

  • Plain oatmeal, $2.50 to $3.50
  • Whole-grain cereal, $2.99 to $3.29
  • Dried fruit (figs, raisin, dates), $1.49 to $2.49

12-14. Proteins: Lentils, Almond Butter, and Plant-Based Protein Powder

Lentils, almond and/or peanut butter, and Vega protein powder are my go-to protein sources besides whole grains, and Target has a great selection of all three of these items. The protein powder is the priciest thing I buy, but buying plant-based sources is important to me and I only have to buy it once per month. Lentils are only 99 cents a bag for the generic option at Target, and I love the Simply Balanced line of almond and peanut butter because they contain no oil or sugar.

Non-Sale Prices

  • Lentils, $0.99 per pound
  • Simply Balanced organic almond and organic peanut butter, $5.99
  • Vega plant-based protein powder, $19.99 to $36.99

15-17. Frozen Items: Organic Frozen Fruit, Asparagus, and Organic Mixed Veggies

I'm only half-joking when I say I should have a larger freezer than I do a fridge. I actually buy most of my produce (bulk-wise) frozen because I don't have to worry about it going bad as often. Target's Simply Balanced line of organic fruit (such as strawberries, tropical blends, blueberries, and mixed berries) is my favorite. I also love their frozen veggies because they're always better quality than other local savings stores; asparagus and mixed veggie blends are my go-to items to buy at Target.

Non-Sale Prices

  • Organic frozen fruit, $9.99 to $12.99 for four pounds
  • Asparagus, $3.99 for 1 pound
  • Organic mixed veggies, $1.99 for 1 pound

19-21. Beverages: Herbal Tea, Coffee, Almond Milk, Soy Milk

I'm brand loyal when it comes to these items, and thankfully Target always has excellent prices on my favorites. I drink herbal tea and coffee daily and love using unsweetened, light almond and soy milk in smoothies, as creamer for coffee, and in oatmeal or with whole-grain cereal.

Non-Sale Prices

Herbal tea, $2.99 to $3.99
Ground coffee, $5.99 to $7.99
Silk almond milk, $2.99 for 64 ounces
Silk soy milk, $3.29 for 64 ounces

I buy other items at Target to help me eat healthfully on a budget, but no matter what, these are always on my list. Even better than the normal everyday low prices? When Target has a sale on these items, I can usually stack a Cartwheel coupon to rack up even more savings. Now, if I could just get out of Target without getting sidetracked by all of their other amazing finds!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments