Crispy Baked Tostones

November 29, 2020

tostones recipe

I’m so excited to share these crispy baked tostones with you! I discovered tostones a few years ago when I visited Costa Rica with my grandmother. Traditional tostones are fried green plantains, flattened and fried again until they’re golden and crispy. You could almost call them Caribbean French fries, and I couldn’t get enough on that trip.

I got a hankering for some tostones a few months ago and decided to learn how to make them. I perfected my skillet-fried tostones technique, but as I was typing it up to share with you, a little voice in my head asked, “Why didn’t you try baking them?”

green plantains for tostones

I hit pause on my post and fired up the oven. As it turns out, baked tostones are great. Compared to fried tostones, they’re easier to make, use less oil, and yield a crisp result that tastes more like plantains and less like oil. Hooray!

These baked tostones are a fun little project. Make them for game days, afternoon snacks, or of course, serve them as a side dish with Caribbean meals. They’re especially wonderful with a bold and creamy dipping sauce. Please try them and let me know what you think.

Continue to the recipe...

The post Crispy Baked Tostones appeared first on Cookie and Kate.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments