Honey Spelt Biscuits (and the tea on my very first book!)

February 28, 2021

On any given day, the very most delicious thing in my freezer isn’t ice cream or popsicles or casseroles wrapped for the future- it’s biscuits. For a few years now, I’ve been pre-baking and bagging up baked flaky biscuits to reheat at a moment’s notice, and my family absolutely loves it. I’ve probably said this before, but secretly, I hope that freezer stash becomes one of those things my kids fondly remember- Mama and her Ziplocs full of biscuits. Today, I’m sharing a biscuit that is new in our rotation, honey spelt biscuits, as well as more about the exciting news I shared with you all last week: my book!

So, if you missed it last week, be sure to go back and read all about my exciting news. My very first book has been in the works for years now, and, after what has seemed like an eternity, it’s nearly here. This coming fall, my book, Her Daily Bread, will hit shelves, and my hope is that its pages full of stories, encouragement, and (you guessed it!) recipes will nourish your heart and belly as much as it has mine. The book is a 365-day devotional for women that will consider how various areas of our lives (think marriage, motherhood, womanhood, friendship, work, personal growth, hospitality, and, of course, FOOD!) are connected to our hearts and relationship with God. Via silly anecdotes, personal stories, and memories from years past, I’ll share some of my own experiences and thoughts in hopes that it will prompt you to reflect on your own.

Honey Spelt Biscuits by Wood and Spoon. These are spelt flour layer biscuits made with real butter, naturally sweetened with honey, and made in small, two bite sized flaky rounds. The recipe is small batch and made just over a dozen small biscuits and is perfect size to feed a family at a single meal. Learn how to make these healthy biscuits, and how to freeze biscuits on thewoodandspoon.com

Her Daily Bread contains a year’s worth of entries, 52 of which are recipes. While this site focuses mainly on sweet and baked goods, the book contains a smattering of recipes I grew up on and have become near and dear to my heart. You’ll read about my favorite lemony chicken salad, the sun-dried tomato quiche that reminds me of my sister, and the coffee cake my Mimi makes every Christmas morning. I’ll share some simple staples too, like my favorite shallot vinaigrette, my go-to grilled chicken marinade, and the quinoa salad I use to get my kids to eat lots of veggies. For those of you that come here strictly for the sweets- don’t fret. There’s loads of desserts and breakfast baked goods too, including the best Dutch apple pie I’ve ever eaten and the one-bowl freezer cookie dough that has taken up residence in my home. Nothing’s too fancy or advanced; this book is all about the easy favorites I enjoy in my own home.

I’m looking forward to spilling more on the book in the coming weeks, but for now, I wanted to say thank you for all of the encouragement and love I’ve received so far. This has been such a rewarding and growing time for me, and it feels good to have people come alongside in support. THANK YOU. Truly. So without further ado, let’s get on to the main event here: honey spelt biscuits.

Honey Spelt Biscuits by Wood and Spoon. These are spelt flour layer biscuits made with real butter, naturally sweetened with honey, and made in small, two bite sized flaky rounds. The recipe is small batch and made just over a dozen small biscuits and is perfect size to feed a family at a single meal. Learn how to make these healthy biscuits, and how to freeze biscuits on thewoodandspoon.com

These honey spelt biscuits were my attempt at expanding the tastebuds of the little people in my life. They’re well accustomed to the buttery white flour biscuits that I’ve been making for years, but these, naturally sweetened with honey and prepared with hearty spelt flour, are a different animal. There’s more texture, nuanced flavor, and loads of opportunity here: biscuits with jam, biscuits as a bread offering for supper, or even served plain and crispy, straight from the oven.

We make these honey spelt biscuits the same as all my other favorites. The dry ingredients are stirred together before ice-cold butter is stirred in. Milk and honey are added next and the dough is gently stirred until it comes together into a shaggy, tacky mixture. Pat the dough out into a rectangle and cut into three same-sized pieces. Stack them one on top of the other and repeat the layering process twice more. This helps to give us those flaky layers we all love. Once layered, pat the mixture out and use a small biscuit cutter to trim out rounds of dough. After a quick bake in a hot oven, the biscuits are golden and ready to be slathered with honey butter. YUM.

Honey Spelt Biscuits by Wood and Spoon. These are spelt flour layer biscuits made with real butter, naturally sweetened with honey, and made in small, two bite sized flaky rounds. The recipe is small batch and made just over a dozen small biscuits and is perfect size to feed a family at a single meal. Learn how to make these healthy biscuits, and how to freeze biscuits on thewoodandspoon.com

Give these honey spelt biscuits a shot sometime this week. They’re a yummy way to include some new flours into your baking, and if my kids like them, you just might too. Happy Sunday to you all, and happy baking!

If you like these honey spelt biscuits you should try:

Honey Nut Biscuits
Cinnamon Raisin Biscuits
Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Biscuits
Maple Oatmeal Biscuits
Cheddar Cornmeal Biscuits

Print

Honey Spelt Biscuits

Honey Spelt Biscuits by Wood and Spoon. These are spelt flour layer biscuits made with real butter, naturally sweetened with honey, and made in small, two bite sized flaky rounds. The recipe is small batch and made just over a dozen small biscuits and is perfect size to feed a family at a single meal. Learn how to make these healthy biscuits, and how to freeze biscuits on thewoodandspoon.com

This recipe makes 16 mini honey spelt biscuits that are flaky and layered like Southern-style biscuits!

  • Author: Kate Wood
  • Prep Time: 5
  • Cook Time: 20
  • Total Time: 25 minutes
  • Yield: 16 Mini Biscuits
  • Category: Bread

Ingredients

  • 1 cup (130 gm) spelt flour
  • 1 cup (140 gm) all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • ¾ cup cold unsalted butter, diced
  • ½ cup cold milk
  • ¼ cup honey

Optional Glaze:

  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1/2 tablespoon honey

 

Instructions

  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. In a large bowl, stir together the dry ingredients: Spelt flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Use a pastry cutter or the back of two forks to cut the butter into the dry ingredients until integrated in pea-sized clumps. In a large measuring cup, stir together the milk and honey (they likely won’t mix super well. It’s okay.) Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and use the pastry cutter to stir and mix them well together until a shaggy dough comes together.
  3. On a lightly floured surface, pat the dough out into a rectangle. Use a large knife to cut the dough into thirds. Stack each piece of dough on top of one another, press out again and repeat the cutting and stacking. Cut and layer the dough once more and then gently press or roll the dough out until ½-3/4” thick. Use a small 2” cutter to trim out rounds of dough by flouring the cutter and pressing straight down. Gather any leftover scraps and trim out more biscuits. Arrange the dough pieces on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 14-15 minutes. Melt the remaining honey and butter together and brush the mixture on top of the warm biscuits. Serve. 

Did you make this recipe?

Share a photo and tag us — we can’t wait to see what you’ve made!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments