Farro with Crispy Leeks and Marinated Chickpeas

February 21, 2018

I’m never one to instantly be on trend, in fashion, food, or otherwise. It usually takes me time to come around to new trends and kind of poke at them first before I decide I’m on board. It took me ages to come around to the notion of skinny jeans and pants but eventually I was, and still am, all in. And now overalls are a thing again, but I’m quite confident I’ll be sitting out their resurgence. I was far too enthusiastic during their wave in the ’90s.

Similarly, I’m always a little wary when a particular type of food is suddenly everywhere. I could be wrong but it seems to me that farro became the next “it” grain after quinoa. I first tried it on top of various salads at a favorite lunchtime spot of mine, and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It has a substantial and ever so slightly chewy texture that I find satisfying. Still, did I want to eat an entire bowl of it? Not especially. But then there came additions of crispy leeks and marinated chickpeas and I was all in.

Listen, I’m not naturally a grain bowl person. I might eat them or order them on occasion because I know they are good for me, but it just isn’t the type of food I’m drawn to most of the time. However, the particular combination of mix-ins in this recipe is stellar. The crispy leeks have this amazing savory quality reminiscent of bacon, and they balance beautifully with the subtle sweetness from the raisins. I found myself literally craving this multiple days in row which worked out well because this makes quite a lot of food. The whole family loved this dish for dinner with a jammy egg on top, but the leftovers were also great sans egg.

If you’re trying to keep some healthy balance in your diet or looking for more meatless meals, I highly recommend this one. Let me know how you like it!

The post Farro with Crispy Leeks and Marinated Chickpeas appeared first on Everyday Annie.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments