Lively Up Yourself Lentil Soup

September 25, 2019

I propose we kick off the year with one of my very favorite soup recipes from last. I eat lentil soup multiple times a week, and come back to this lentil soup often for a few reasons. It’s hearty yet healthy – which in my mind translates to a soup that is filling, tasty, adaptable, and also delivers plenty of good stuff to my body. It’s also super tasty.

Lentil Soup Recipe

One and Done

I love a good one bowl meal. And this fits the bill. It gives me energy without weighing me down, and delivers layer after layer of flavor. The tang of the tomatoes plays off the earthiness of the lentils, and the fragrant bolt of saffron yogurt is the closer – brightening each bowl. Delicious.

Nutritional Punch

A few notes on why I like this soup nutritionally. In addition to a nice amount of vegetable based protein in this soup (from the lentils), the recipe also incorporates a touch of dairy, vitamin-rich greens and tomatoes, and good fats. If I have a ripe avocado on hand I’ll slice 1/4 of it into a small dice and sprinkle that across the top as well. The avocados have been so sad around here lately that I mostly skip them. With a bit of whole grain toast (or croutons) that have been rubbed with garlic, the whole thing comes together. Or serve over some good brown rice. 

Lentil Soup Variations

Please feel free to think of this soup in broad strokes. There are dozens of ways I make subtle changes to this recipe depending on what I have on hand. I’ve included a list of variations at the base of the recipe itself. A bunch of you have cooked this and left great comments with ideas you’ve tried as well.

Your Tweaks

AFG said, “I made a pot of this lentil soup last night and it is delicious! I added copious amounts of fresh ground black pepper and some crushed red chili flakes, and also allowed it to barely simmer for an hour on the stove top bringing all the flavors together. It was outstanding and a big hit with my dining companions!”

Clover seconds the choice to opt for fire-roasted tomatoes. “Yum! Made it for dinner last night. I second the motion on using the fire-roasted tomatoes. Instead of saffron, I tried the smoked paprika and the whole fire-roasted/smoky thing worked great.”

R.A. Porter suggests, “swapping out some of the water with a nice dark beer and making a sumac yogurt.”

There are a number of other lentil soups hiding in the archives. I love this Coconut Red Lentil Soup with next-level devotion, it’s just a quite a bit more decadent than this version, so I rotate between them. This Green Lentil Soup with Curried Brown Butter is another long-time favorite. Or, check out this list with a mix of options – Nine Great Lentil Soups to Choose From.

Continue reading Lively Up Yourself Lentil Soup on 101 Cookbooks

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments