Berry Swirl Ice Cream (Vegan, Dairy-free)

August 15, 2019

As far as ice cream goes, berry swirl ice cream is my favorite. Intense, bright strawberry or raspberry sorbet threaded with the creamiest waves of vanilla is hard to beat. I often make a classic version (and will post that version before the weekend), but wanted to challenge myself to create a vegan, dairy-free version as well. A lot of you requested one when I posted about it to Instagram the other day.
Berry Swirl Ice Cream (Vegan, Dairy-free)

The Recipe

I tried a number of different approaches here, and landed on a creamy, cashew milk base. Oat milk turned out too icy, and I wanted to opt for something other than coconut milk, which I suspect would have been the obvious choice.

I also wanted to simplify and streamline the process as much as possible, wondering if I could get away with making a “blender custard” instead of a cooked custard, the more typical approach. And I was really happy with the results! You definitely get mild nuttiness from the cashews, and theres the mouthfeel that reminds me of the hazelnut or pistachio gelatos you might get in Italy, but it’s really nice alongside the vibrant berry swirl. The dairy based version I make uses a classic vanilla swirl, creamy brightness. This is a slightly different beast, but a big hit with kids and adults!

Continue reading Berry Swirl Ice Cream (Vegan, Dairy-free) on 101 Cookbooks

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments