Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream Pie

September 19, 2018

When my love of cooking, baking, and all things food comes up in conversation, people often ask what sort of recipes I like the most. Sweet or savory? Cooking or baking? Quick and easy or involved and time consuming? I struggle to come up with an answer because my interests aren’t easily defined. I love it all! There are nights when I’m dead tired and quick easy recipes are the only viable option, but I also love some good project cooking and baking when my schedule allows. The beauty of this peanut butter and jelly ice cream pie is that it can be either a relatively simple endeavor or an epic confection with every component made from scratch. You get to choose!

When Tartine Manufactory opened a couple of years ago, I saw videos of their frozen peanut butter and jelly pie and was supremely disappointed that they hadn’t opened a couple of months earlier when I was in town. This stunningly beautiful pie consists of a peanut butter cookie crumb crust, a layer of jelly, sorbet swirled with vanilla ice cream, and honey roasted peanuts on top.

You could easily use store bought cookies, jelly, sorbet, and ice cream, and this would basically consist of assembly. Or, you can go the homemade route and make these things from scratch. You can also choose what fruit flavor to include. Strawberry, grape, or something else? While I was always more team strawberry growing up, grape seemed like a more natural choice for this pie. (As much as I love this version, I am honestly dying to try a strawberry version now too.)

A few weeks ago when Concord grapes came into season, I figured it was time to create my own version of that dreamy dessert from the videos and got straight to work. I burned the first batch of jam, but I persisted. I acquired more grapes. Made more jam. Acquired still more grapes, and made sorbet. Baked cookies for the sole purpose of crushing them to become the cookie crumb crust of this pie. I had planned to make the vanilla ice cream myself but found three unopened pints of Jeni’s in the freezer and figured I didn’t need to go quite that far. It was a huge relief to finally slice into the pie, take a bite, and feel that all of my efforts were worthwhile.

The post Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream Pie appeared first on Everyday Annie.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments