Strawberry Rhubarb Slab Pie

May 24, 2018

Where has strawberry rhubarb pie BEEN all my life?! Somehow I made it into my thirties before I was even exposed to rhubarb. I suppose in part it is due to growing up with a dad raising us three kids on his own. While he did a commendable job feeding us homemade and semi-homemade meals every single night, I don’t recall him ever baking anything. Even though I wasn’t the most adventurous of eaters as a child, I’m fairly certain I would have eaten a slice of this pie if it had been set in front of me.

Rhubarb is plentiful here in the midwest in springtime so I’m sure I had at least seen it around, but likely viewed it as a dubious form of celery, which I knew I hated. A bunch of raw rhubarb instilled no positive feelings or optimism in me when I considered it in a dessert capacity, because I knew nothing of its unique tart flavor and amazing texture once cooked.

The sweet-tart play in strawberry rhubarb pie filling is delightful to me, and I’m glad I finally came around to this classic dessert. When I came across some of the early local rhubarb this season, there was no question it was destined for pie. Slab pie seemed a perfect choice because, with its higher crust-to-filling ratio, it’s like a way more sophisticated gigantic pop tart.

I kept the filling pretty simple and pure in this case, but if you wanted to incorporate an accent flavor, ginger, vanilla bean, orange zest, or lavender would be lovely options. I should also add that it is simply stellar with a scoop of Jeni’s frosé sorbet. If you’re looking for a crowd pleasing dessert for your holiday weekend, look no further. Enjoy, friends!

The post Strawberry Rhubarb Slab Pie appeared first on Everyday Annie.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments