Pretty Pencil Skirts

April 11, 2018

In taking steps toward a more handmade wardrobe, I knew that one essential item I had to master was a perfect pencil skirt. I wear skirts and dresses more often than not at work, and pencil skirts are a staple wardrobe item for me. They can be styled so many different ways and have a really nice polished look to them. So I found a promising pattern, ordered fabric I thought would work well… and then waited literally an entire year before attempting them.


I’m not sure exactly what my hang up was but I was so nervous these weren’t going to work out. Eventually I used one of the best motivators – a self-imposed ban on purchasing any more fabric or patterns until I had sewed up at least a couple of these skirts. I am thrilled I finally went for it because I truly love the way these turned out! I’m wearing one as I type this, in fact. It’s cute and comfortable and is indeed exactly the wardrobe staple I was hoping for.


This is actually a pretty quick project overall and after making the first one, the second one was made from start to finish in approximately just under two hours. I opted for the hand sewn hem because I prefer its relative invisibility to the machine-stitched look. So far I have sewed the two pictured here, one in a lightweight herringbone wool and one in a stretch cotton twill. I plan to make at least a navy and a black, but I’m sure other colors will follow. I adore this pattern! Scroll down for pattern link, fit notes, and a gallery of more images.

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments