Funfetti Fours (Birthday Cake Petit Fours)

July 23, 2019

Traditional petit fours get a sprinkle of fun: tart apricot and raspberry jam sandwiched between layers of rich, almond pound cake dotted with rainbow sprinkles, all covered in a colorful poured fondant glaze.

These adorable confetti petit four cakes are as fun as they are delicious! Glazed with a traditional poured fondant, but decorated not-so-traditionally with colorful buttercream accents, rainbow sprinkles and edible gold leaf.

Rows of pink and orange "Funfetti Fours" with buttercream decorations and rainbow sprinkles

Funfetti petit fours… aka funfetti fours. Get it?

I often draw on wordplay as inspiration for my recipes, coming up with the name of the recipe well before I fiddle with flavors or processes. Case in point: strawciatella ice cream; strawbanero jam; ampersandwich cookies.

So I knew I wanted to make funfetti fours for some time now, I just needed to figure out how to make it happen.

(Also, Taylor suggested that next time I should make Tom Pettyfours. 😂 He gets me.)

Pink and orange glazed 'funfetti-four' with rainbow sprinkles.

The cake itself is a rich, almond pound cake. It’s quite dense, but you want a cake that will hold its own against the thick glaze. Since many petit fours include a layer of marzipan in the middle, I figured I’d kill two birds and make the cake itself basically marzipan cake (yum!) I added a generous amount of rainbow sprinkles to the cake to give it that funfetti effect.

In between the three thin layers of cake are two jam layers; I opted to do one layer of raspberry and one of apricot because I liked how the different colors looked. You could certainly use just one kind of jam, or even fill them with buttercream (although I really like the hint of tart fruit that the jam brings).

Orange-glazed "Funfetti Fours" cut in half to show the layers of funfetti cake, apricot and raspberry jams.

My favorite sprinkles for funfetti cakes are confetti quin sprinkles, as they hold their shape better when baked (nonpareils and jimmies tend to bleed) and they add a delightful bit of crunch to the final cake.

These Sweetapolita pastel quins are my current favorite, the pastel colors come through beautifully in the final cake. 

Also, today happens to be Sweetapolita herself – Rosie’s birthday, so this sprinkle-filled confection seemed like a perfect way to celebrate! To celebrate, today only you’ll get a free 4oz “Love Rosie, xo” sprinkle mix on any order over $25. Also, don’t forget to use code LOVEANDOLIVEOIL15 to get 15% off your order any time!

(more…)

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments